South East Midlands Start-Up Project
Led by Wenta – who have partnered with University of Northampton and University of Bedfordshire to deliver this programme – this project focuses on social enterprises and start ups across the South East Midlands area.
What’s it about?
The project provides advice and support for entrepreneurs and self-employment, with a focus on increasing the number of start-ups, including social enterprises.
Our support includes the provision of one-to-one advice, workshops, grants and incubation facilities.
Seed finance grants for eligible businesses and social enterprises (all applicant enterprises MUST be less than 12 months old).
- Start-up grants are available from £500-£1000. Applicants MUST have completed 12 hours support from this project in order to be eligible. The application process is managed by Wenta and the applicant is required to match the requested amount of funding.
- Social enterprise grants are available from £250-£1000. Applicants MUST have completed 12 hours support from this project in order to be eligible. The application process is managed by Wenta and the applicant is required to match the requested amount of funding.
Both grants can be used for consultancy associated with:
- improving marketing or sales;
- supporting website development;
- managing or raising finance;
- developing or improving systems and processes;
- recruiting and manage staff;
- business planning; and
- professional and/or legal advice relating to the business.
These grants are delivered under the De Minimis state aid vehicle.
We are also running 10 webinars to help address the most common areas of concern, which will cover:
- Is Social Enterprise for me?
- Legal and governance
- Enterprise Strategy & Business planning
- Creating awareness – Marketing
- Developing Trading Activities
- Growing & Maintaining a profitable enterprise
- How to find and tender for contracts
- How to measure social impact
- Leadership and management
- Becoming investment ready
Incubation work space
We are currently offering incubation work space for start-up businesses and social enterprises in the target area, at the iCon Innovation Centre, Daventry, as well as for individuals in the pre-start phase of development.
This consists of ‘hot desks’ and provides users with easy access to free broadband, free black and white printing and copying and flexible use of meeting rooms.
We will provide users of the incubator with one-to-one business support which will normally be delivered at weekly clinics. This service will be provided free of charge for six months.
Demand is expected to be high and the application process for incubation tenancy will be competitive; to find out more, contact us on 01604 212696 or email us at: SUP@northamptonshiregrowthhub.co.uk.